The state of Texas is known for its food. Chilies are consumed commonly in Texas and their patented Texas Chili is one of the most mouth burnings but really tasty dishes that you can definitely make at your own house.
Texas Chili is a gravy recipe that you can enjoy as lunch or dinner. It is a non-veg curry which is made primarily out of beef. The recipe is unique though.
Texas chili is considered unique because of two things. First, they do not contain any beans or tomato sauce. And the second thing is that the gravy is made with meat and thick chili paste made out of dried peppers.
So, the whole idea behind the gravy is almost like based on chicken curry that you can find in places like India. The only difference being the kind of meat!
Texas chili Ingredient List
There is a big list of ingredient that is needed for making Texas Chili, the list is given below:
- 2 ounces of dried chilies
- Around 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- Salt (according to taste)
- One and a half teaspoon of cumin seeds
- Vegetable Oil and Beef fat
- Boneless beef chunk preferably cut into perfect cubes
- Finely chopped onion , Cloves, and Garlic for flavor
- 2 cups of beef stock and low sodium beef broth.
- Water as needed
- 2 tablespoons of tortilla flour
- A tablespoon of firmly packed dark brown sugar.
- One and a half tablespoon of white vinegar.
- Sour Cream and Lime wedges.
Texas chili Preparation
Making any gravy is tough. You need to have a proper eye for flavor and taste. You can follow the recipe given below to make texas chili in less time than needed.
- First, place the chilies in a straight-sided large skillet over medium-low heat and gently toast the chilies until there is ample fragrance. Do not let the chilies burn. When you are done, put the chilies in a bowl and cover them with very hot water and soak until they are soft.
- Now, drain the chilies, split them, and remove the seeds. Keep the chilies in a blender and mix cumin, pepper, salt, water and just puree the mixture. Add water as needed until a smooth fluid paste forms. Set the chilies aside for now.
- Return to the skillet now and melt 2 tablespoons of lard, after it is smoked, add the beef chunks and cook them for 3 minutes per side. Now reduce the heat and transfer the beef chunks to a bowl.
- Once the skillet has cooled off. Place it over medium-low heat and add 1 tablespoon of lard, onions, garlic, and cook gently for 4 minutes. Add the stock, the remaining 2 cups water, and gradually whisk them. Add the beef that you have cooked, reduce the heat, and let it simmer. Cook the meat properly, let the meat soak in all the flavor.
- The next thing that you need to do is stir in the brown sugar and vinegar and add more salt for the taste. Gently simmer around 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the chili stand still for 30 minutes during which the meat will absorb the sauce in the skillet.
- The meat will get a thick sauce inside it and you can now stir in additional water if the sauce seems to dry. Allow it to simmer for a while again and let the beef absorb more sauce. Add vinegar, sugar, or salt depending on how you like your gracy, Reheat gently for a while and you are ready to serve.
Well, this is how you make the best texas chili at your own house. Yes, the recipe is a bit much, there are multiple phases of cooking and it can get tedious to cook beef but hey, the end result is definitely worth it. The gravy is tasty and you can eat it with bread or rice.