We all know how expensive actual Caviar is. They are luxury food that very few people can have but Texas Caviar is different. See, it’s not really caviar but the dish looks like caviar.
Texas caviar is a salad mix of black-eyed peas. The peas are lightly pickled and dressed with vinegar. Texas caviar is comfort food that is often eaten as a dip for Tortilla Chips.
The dip is perfect for all kinds of chips and it can be used as a food for different events and parties.
Texas Caviar Ingredient List
Texas Caviar requires the following ingredients. These ingredients are simple and easily available. You can buy them either online or from your local supermarket.
- Can Black Beans or Pinto Beans (the amount depends on how much dip you want to make)
- White corn (rinsed and drained)
- Chopped Green chilies, 1 jalapeno pepper, 1 green red bell pepper and 1 red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 bunch of cilantro leaves (finely chopped)
- Half cup of olive oil, rice vinegar, and white sugar
- Half teaspoon of garlic powder
Also, check- Best Texas Chili Recipe
The preparation of Texas caviar is pretty straight forward, you just need to get the ingredients and mix them together. How you mix it is the only thing you need to know. The steps for the preparation of Texas caviar is given below:
- Step 1: The first step is to get a bowl ready and all the ingredients in place. Finely chop all the peppers and onions. Get the chilies and cilantro ready and rinse and drain the beans that you are using. You can use black beans and pinto beans for it.
- Step 2: The next step is to mix everything. In a large bowl, take some beans and white corn. Now add green chilies, peppers, onions, cilantro and jalapeno. Mix it properly, 2 minutes of mixing should do the trick.
- Step 3: The base of your salad is ready, the next thing you need to do is ready the dressing. The first thing that you need to do for the dressing is to stir the rice vinegar, olive oil, sugar and garlic powder in a pan together.
- Step 4: Now boil the items in the pan. When it’s boiled, let the dressing cool and then poor it in out bean base. Pour it evenly and mix thoroughly.
This is how to make good texas caviar. As far as health is concerned, Texas caviar is very healthy. Since it is a salad, the caviar doesn’t really have that many calories in it. So, it’s a perfect snack for healthy people.
You should, however, eat only a few tortilla chips with it though. Chips can have a lot of carbs. For people wanting to bulk though, there is nothing healthier than a bowl of Texas Caviar and ample supply of Tortilla Chips on a Sunday afternoon.