The City of Chicago is known for its street culture and the soul food that comes with it. Pizza is synonymous with fast-paced action food in America and the city of Chicago captures that Street Vibe with its street pizza known as the “Deep Dish Pizza.”
They are easy to make at home and provide an impressive taste. Today, we are going to make the best Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza. So let us get into it.
But first, you might have a question, right? You might be thinking ‘how is this pizza different from any other pizza?’ Let us answer this.
First, Deep Dish Pizza doesn’t even look like a pizza. It is baked in a deep-dish cake pan so, the shape is different.
The cheese goes directly on the top of the crust and the sauce is piled on top. So, it’s almost opposite to the normal pizza that you may be accustomed to. Anyway, let us get into the recipe.
Deep Dish Pizza Ingredient List
A pizza has three stages of preparation; The Crust, The Sauce, and The Topping. So, we are going to be dividing the ingredient list accordingly.
- All-Purpose Flour ( 420 grams can give you crusts)
- 60 grams of Cornmeal and One and a quarter teaspoon of salt
- 12 grams of granulated sugar
- 7 grams of yeast for baking
- 300 ml of warm water (not boiling, just lukewarm)
- Unsalted Butter and Olive Oil
- Unsalted Butter (around 30 grams, or 2 tablespoons)
- A small onion
- A pinch of salt (Quarter teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano and half teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves
- Crushed Tomatoes (around 750 grams)
- A quarter teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 4 cups of shredded cheese ( preferably mozzarella, you can us e other cheese too)
- Half cup parmesan cheese
- Pepperoni, Pineapple (optional), Onion, Sliced Mushrooms, crumbled sausage, green peppers.
Preparing a Deep Dish Pizza can be quite a marathon. Mainly cos you have so much to do. But let us divide it into four sections.
Section 1: Making the Crust
- Take a combination of flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar, and yeast in a bowl. Use a mixer to mix these ingredients. Add warm water when you did mixing and a quarter cup of melted butter too. Continue mixing it until the dough feels right. Mix for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Form a ball with the dough. Grease it with olive oil and manually roll and mix the ball. Preheat the oven to 250 F and place the bowl with the dough inside, close the oven.
- Once the dough gets ready remove it from the bowl. Punch down the dough to remove any air bubbles. Spread some butter on the top of the dough, roll it up and cut it in half. Place the dough again in the greased bowl. Cover with aluminum foil and allow the dough to rise in the fridge for 1 hour.
Section 2: Making the Sauce
- On a medium sauce over medium heat, allow the butter to melt. When melted, add onions, salt, oregano, and red pepper to the pan. When the onions get brown, add garlic, tomatoes, and sugar. Turn the heat down to low medium and allow the sauce to simmer until it is thick. You will need 30 minutes to cook the sauce.
- Once the sauce is thick enough, remove it from the fridge and let the sauce cool.
Section 3: Assembly and Topping
- Take the risen dough balls from the fridge. Roll it out and make a circle of 12 inch using a rolling pin. using your fingers, push the dough inside the cake pan. Make sure it is nicely fit inside the pan. Trim excess dough with a small knife.
- Now get on to the topping, each dough needs to be topped with little olive oil, which gives it a beautiful sheen, Each pizza needs to be filled with half cheese and all the toppings. But before that, pour the sauce in the dough. Now add the parmesan cheese (grated). Add all the toppings like sausage, pepperoni, and everything.
Section 4: Baking
- The first thing you need to do is to place the pans on top of a large baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- You can cover the pizza with aluminum foil after 15 minutes to prevent uneven baking. Make sure the pizza is baked equally from all sides.
- When the baking is done, remove the pizza from the oven and just let it cool for a while. Enjoy the delicious pizza!
Well, this is why it’s much easier to just order a pizza! It takes around 2-3 hours to make a pizza and if you can’t afford that much time then pizza making is definitely not for you. But the end result is totally worth it. Pizza is one of the best comfort foods on the planet so, everyone can have a good time with it. So, if you want to impress your friends and just relax with them over a match of football then, invite them for a Chicago style Deep Dish Pizza!